Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the Record...

3 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

For the Record... Empty For the Record...

Post  Betep Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:01 am

Retractions, Omissions, Corrections, OH MY!!!

Slow news day, but I've been thinking of keeping count of the corrections of the week for Page B-8 B-12 for a while. Since it's a slow day, I figured I'd beef up the page with a record of them. I have a friend that visits from time to time whose family was in the newspaper business in California; she commented about the number of corrections she sees in a 2 week visit. In the old Cape Cod Times Forums, Otis Plumber would point them out.
I'll keep tabs on this continuing story from Monday to Sunday so I can include the weekly numbers in the Page B-8 B-12 and database/ spreadsheet the numbers on the side. If (God forbid) I miss any, by all means, point them out! (you know the drill: post with a link)

Wrong gender used for promoted bank official
June 08, 2010

Because of a reporting error, an item in the Cape Commerce column in the business section on Page C6 in Friday's Cape Cod Times used the incorrect gender in referring to Tracy Buckley-Scott.

He has been promoted to vice president of retail banking at Bank of Cape Cod.

Ouch...
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: Wrong gender used for promoted bank official

Post  Old Caper Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 am

I don't think you can fault them for that. Does look like a woman using both her maiden name and her husband's surname. The first name, Tracy, is completely ambiguous and provides no clue. The press released shold have used a gender specific title - Mr., Mrs., Ms, etc.
Old Caper
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: corrections, etc.

Post  mermaid Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Well now I beg to differ on this. Forever it seems the CCT`s has been correcting errors; especially spelling.....[which don`t get corrected or who would notice?]
Gender, omissions, whatever it may be, at least they do something about correcting the oops.
Noone`s perfect.
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: For the Record...

Post  Betep Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 am

Flowers in photo are mouse-ear hawkweed
June 09, 2010

Because of a photographer's error, a caption for a photo that appeared on Page A3 of yesterday's Times was incorrect. The flowers photographed at the Captain Penniman House in Eastham are mouse-ear hawkweed.

And the gardeners were in an uproar!

'Bleacher Bums' opens tomorrow in Cotuit
June 09, 2010

Because of an editing error, the activity guide on Page A2 in Sunday's Times incorrectly listed a matinee production of "Bleacher Bums." The comedy about baseball opens Thursday and runs through June 27 at Cotuit Center for the Arts.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Nit-Picking?

Post  Betep Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:54 am

Am I picking nits? Yes. Undeniably, Yes.
I don't know why it irritates me so, but it does. I expect better proofreading and verification of the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I'm not sure if there is a proofreader at the Cape Cod Times anymore, or any other paper for that matter. A couple searches "cape cod times proofreader" yielded a few obits, some "Help Wanted" ads in trade papers and this site: Regret the Error. Here is the link to the Cape Cod Times corrections. Oops!

I realize there are no 'cub reporters' to check facts or research departments now. Has the information age made us lazy with spell check (there, they're, their)? I'd think with a cell phone handy that a phone number could and would be checked easily. I was recently thinking of the Tracy/ Hepburn film Desk Set, about a computer replacing a research department. I was taught to double check and reference. I expect it from "prose pros". Preview is a great thing, read what you have written, not just admire your work.

I DO edit, see Page B-12 of Sunday, June 6, 2010. No one is infallible.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Nit Picking

Post  Old Caper Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm

While I agree that newspapers have an obligation to use correct grammar and to check their facts before publishing them, the nits I want to pick are those concerning the proper use of grammar.

Newspapers are lax in this area but TV and radio newscasters reach a far greater audience than the print folk.They therefore have, in my opinion, a greater responsibility to be accurate, of course, but also to use proper English and forego slang expressions.

The broadcast sources have a huge impact on a young, impressionable audience and should therefore put some effort into, if not educating, at least not further corrupting them. My favorite, and it is a nit I often pick, is hearing supposedly intelligent and educated announcers describing a narcotics arrest as a drug bust. Do they think it makes them sound hip?

Last edited by Old Caper on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error.)
Old Caper
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 am

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2
Cindy Sheehan left Democratic Party in 2007
June 10, 2010

Because of a columnist's error, the party affiliation of activist Cindy Sheehan was erroneously reported on Page A11 of the June 3 edition of the Times.

Sheehan left the Democratic Party in 2007 and ran against Nancy Pelosi in 2008 as an independent.

I shudder to imagine if she had won...

Cape Light Compact is municipal aggregator
June 10, 2010

Because of a reporting error, the Cape Light Compact was incorrectly identified as an electricity cooperative on Page A8 of yesterday's Times. The Compact is an intergovernmental organization that acts as a municipal aggregator. The story also incorrectly said that, following an energy audit, RISE Engineering would not provide a pricing estimate for the work it recommends be done if the homeowner has stated he or she is working with an outside contractor. In these circumstances, RISE will provide a report that includes pricing information, but will not provide an actual contract.

Technical but important points...
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 am

Saturday, June 12, 2010: 1
Most rowdies weren't staying at shelter
June 12, 2010

HYANNIS — Because of a reporting error, a story on Page A1 of yesterday's Times inaccurately described a group of 93 people who the police described as troublemakers on the streets of Hyannis. While many of these people were homeless, most of them were not living at the NOAH Shelter at 77 Winter St., according to Housing Assistance Corporation spokeswoman Virginia Ryan.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Error status

Post  Betep Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:17 pm

After 1 week of tallying the errors, I have to figure out how to tabulate them. I saw four variations: Editing, Reporting, Photographers and Columnist.

Like rock>scissors>paper, I think Editor>Reporter>Photographer. Where to put Columnist? Are they stratospheric intellectuals above an editor or should they really be carrying a photographer's equipment and taking notes? I'll put them last as (maybe) there won't be too many errors by them.

E:1
R:3
P:1
C:1

Now I have to edit page B-12.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 am

June 15, 2010: 1
Correction: Ethan Daniels' talk is at Wellfleet library
June 15, 2010

Because of an editing error, the wrong location was listed for a talk by author Ethan Daniels on page B6 of Sunday's Times. Daniels, author of "Under Cape Cod Waters," will talk about the book at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Wellfleet Public Library, 5 W. Main St.

Originally "Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary", but what's 5 miles between friends?
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 am

June 21, 2010 = 2

Gov. Curley attended bridge ceremony
June 21, 2010

Because of a reporting error, the last name of a Massachusetts governor was omitted from a story that appeared on Page A1 of yesterday's Times. Gov. James Michael Curley attended a ceremony dedicating the Bourne and Sagamore bridges.

Wrong phone number in Write to Know
June 21, 2010

The telephone number of a letter writer in the Write to Know column on Page B10 in yesterday's Times was incorrect. The correct telephone number for D.C. in Dennis is 774-454-8107.

I'll count that as an editing error. I'm sure DC in Dennis knows their phone number. *ahem*
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:26 am

June 22, 2010 = 2
Author Paul Chesbro to talk in Osterville
June 22, 2010

Because of an editing error, an author was misnamed in the events column on Page B6 in Sunday's Times. Paul Chesbro will talk about and sign copies of "Osterville: A History of the Village, Volume III" at 11 a.m. Friday at Osterville Historical Museum, 155 West Bay Road.

Massachusetts has 48 Wal-Mart stores
June 22, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a story on Page B8 of Saturday's Times contained incorrect information about the number of Wal-Mart stores in Massachusetts. The retailer has 48 stores in the state, including two Sam's Clubs. Also in the same story, the name of the executive director of the Progressive Business Leaders Network, Andrew Tarsy, was misspelled.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: corrections, etc.

Post  mermaid Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Betep-
Thanks for making your point loud & clear. Keep up the great work.

Spelling errors used to bother me, but I got used to them in CCT`s. People, places & things / errors are unacceptable !!!! Too often the damage cannot be undone. No
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 am

June 23, 2010 = 1
Boil-water order was issued June 15
June 23, 2010

Because of an editing error, a story on Page A3 of yesterday's Times reported an incorrect date for when the boil-water order was issued in Falmouth. The order was issued on June 15.

They've been talking about it for how long?
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 pm

June 24, 2010 = 2

Wrong address listed for assault suspect
June 24, 2010

Because of a reporting error, there was an incorrect address in the Falmouth District Court report published on Page A9 of Tuesday's Times. Brock J. Sypek, 18, arraigned on domestic assault and battery, and assault and battery to intimidate, June 2 in Mashpee, lives at 2 Gleneagle Drive, Mashpee.

Chief sympathetic to drug addicts, families
June 24, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a story on Page 1 of Sunday's Times mischaracterized a statement by Brewster Police Chief Richard Koch. The police chief said he is sympathetic to those addicted to drugs and their families, not those who deal drugs.

Details, details...A misdirected lynch-mob and a potential PR gaffe.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:23 pm

June 25, 2010 = 1
Correction: Cape League game times today
By Cape Cod Times staff
June 25, 2010

Because of a production error, the wrong games and times were listed in today's Page A2 of the Cape Cod Times for the Cape Cod Baseball League schedule.

The correct information was listed in our sports pages.

I'm trying to figure out what a production error is, but there ya' go...
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:09 pm

June 26, 2010 = 1
Maritime artist's paintings misidentified. (no link)
Because of an editing error, a caption that appeared on page 16 of yesterday's Cape-Week magazine incorrectly identified two Frank Vining Smith paintings.
They were, from left, "On the Road to China" and "Chatham Bars". They are part of an exhibit of Smith's paintings at the Heritage Museums and Gardens in Sandwich.
For the Record... Bilde?Site=CC&Date=20100624&Category=ENTERTAIN&ArtNo=100629894&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80&cb=
"On the Road to China"

A goof plus not published on-line... I'm thinking about awarding this 2 editing points.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:52 pm

July 7, 2010
Correction: 'Frog Prince' runs through July 15
July 07, 2010

Because of a reporting error, the end date for Harwich Junior Theatre's production of "The Frog Prince of Spamalot" was incorrect in theater reviews on Thursday's and Saturday's Arts & Entertainment pages. "Frog Prince" runs at 7:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 4 p.m. Fridays and Sundays through July 15.

Bass River Marina staff set out oil booms
July 07, 2010

Because of incorrect information provided to the Times, a police log on Page A5 wrongly stated who had placed fuel containment booms around a sinking boat in West Dennis. Staff at the Bass River Marina set out the booms as the Bayliner Ciera took on water.

Community Bank float was in Sandwich parade
July 07, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a story on Page A3 Monday incorrectly identified a float in the Sandwich Fourth of July Parade. It was The Community Bank float.

Play runs Tuesdays through Saturdays
July 07, 2010

Because of a reporting error, the performance days of "Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune" at Cape Rep Theatre in Brewster were listed incorrectly in Friday's CapeWeek magazine. The Terrence McNally play runs at 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays through July 17.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: For the record [sorta]

Post  mermaid Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:44 pm

As needed, I`ve always looked in the paper on Mondays or whenever a holiday is supposed to be... to find out what open/whats closed for a holiday..this year it was in Sunday's paper. Is it just me or did anyone else find that odd for it to be in Sunday`s paper?
We all know there won`t be mail on a Sunday. And so on........ Neutral
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:46 am

Handmade items sale today and tomorrow
July 10, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a listing on Page 25 of yesterday's CapeWeek magazine contained incomplete information. The sale of handmade items sponsored by Handcrafting Justice is 1-7 p.m. today and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. tomorrow at St. Pius X Church Hall, Station Avenue, South Yarmouth.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 am

Meet Sheila Lyons today in Provincetown
July 14, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a political announcement on Page A3 of yesterday's Times listed the incorrect date for a campaign event held by state Senate candidate Sheila Lyons. The event is set for 3:30 to 5 p.m. today at the Lobster Pot restaurant on Commercial Street in Provincetown.

Shark sighting? Call Marine Fisheries
July 14, 2010

Because of incorrect information provided to the Times, a story on Page A4 yesterday listed the wrong state office to contact to report a shark sighting. The correct office to contact is the Division of Marine Fisheries, 508-965-4394, according to Catherine Williams at the state Department of Energy and Environmental Affairs.

Last edited by Betep on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bbs)
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty Re: corrections, According to so & so at the D.E.E.A... uh huh.

Post  mermaid Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 am

Glancing quickly at the bottom of today`s CCT`s, I saw the a smidgen of an article about a 15 foot great white off Nauset area.....do Not quote me on this.

My belief is it wasn`t reported to cct b/c noone wants to see a `frenzy`......its sooo much like the movie Jaws.
Reporters, !smile! and say, "Oh but not to worry, Very Happy just b/c someone saw '1' great white doesn`t mean are more !" they almost say, "So folks, turn that frown upside down and have a great vacation!" Very Happy

Can anyone out there hear the music from the movie?

Oh my God, I surely do NOT wish anyone attacked - I just cannot imagine the horror. Nor do I have a solution. ( Mother nature does rule -my belief. ) Would `visitors` stop coming to the Cape? or could there be twice the amount we have now? affraid
Seems one way or another we`ll find out.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:04 am

Town has action plan for shark sightings
July 15, 2010

Because of an editing error, a story on Page A12 of yesterday's Times incorrectly attributed some of Chatham's action plan in the case of a shark sighting to the Cape Cod National Seashore. The Chatham plan includes harbor patrol boats and a beach patrol that maintain a lookout for sharks. If a great white is spotted near beaches, or town officials receive a credible report from a plane or boat of a great white close to shore, the information will be posted on the town website and on local cable access Channel 18, and notification will be sent to the appropriate Chatham town departments.

Last edited by Betep on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bb code)
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 am

Conservation officials tout economic benefit
July 15, 2010

Because of a reporting error, a story on Page A1 of yesterday's Times about North of Highland Camping Area in North Truro had the incorrect attribution for comments about the economic benefits of putting a conservation restriction on the property. The comments were made by Truro Conservation Trust trustee Fred Gaechter and Truro Open Space Committee member Brenda Boleyn. The trust is a private nonprofit based in Truro, and the committee is a town board.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

For the Record... Empty re: Action plan for sharks [ or people?]

Post  mermaid Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:25 am

Haven`t read about last night's meeting...a reinactment of Amityville most likely. Wonder who was in charge of the gavel?

Re: Shark video; zip zip !.......and to think I sat through the entire movie more than once.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next