Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape

3 posters

Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty The 'paywall' reaches the Cape

Post  Betep Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:10 am

By Sarah Shemkus
sshemkus@capecodonline.com
October 24, 2010

Every strong community needs quality journalism, says Peter Meyer, president of the Cape Cod Media Group.

"Quality journalism can only occur if it has a revenue stream attached," he said.

And that is why, he said, the Cape Cod Media Group is switching to a subscription model for its online content as of Nov. 9.

"More and more people are turning to the Web to read their news and information," Meyer said. "We need to monetize that in some fashion and this seems like the best way."

Cape Cod Times Online Options

For current print subscribers:

The next time your subscription renews, you will automatically be signed up for complete online access in addition to the print edition, and the price will increase by 39 cents per week, unless you contact the paper to opt for a print-only subscription.

Online-only options

* E-Edition: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and may view up to 10 articles, videos and galleries per month. Starting at $2.48 per week.
* Limited internet: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and may view up to 50 articles, videos and galleries per month. Starting at $4.40 per week.
* Premium internet: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and unlimited access to articles, videos and galleries. Starting at $5.52 per week.

I've been thinking about going to a Sunday only subscription for a while. There just isn't enough in the paper any more. Never mind the paperboy can't even get the paper in the box.

I'll keep posting Page B-12 every Sunday, and I'll cut-copy-paste the Hell out of the paper. Since I don't make any $$$ from this site, it's the same as quoting an article in a term paper at school.

Betep
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty Re: The 'paywall' reaches the Cape

Post  mermaid Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for sharing this....!!!!!

I`ve got a stack of CCT`s papers I`ve not had time to go thru, dating from over a week ago...
I think just the Sunday paper is a good idea. However I`m not in charge of this! My folks buy it. I shall pass this info re: new subscriptions on to them.

Peter Meyer is bound to hear from my dad on this! .......one of the many am quite sure. Woof !!
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:48 pm

OK, some math:

News stand: (used as the baseline price for comparison)
Daily, $1.00 cover price (x6) Sunday, $2.00 (x 1) = $8.00 / week
Weekend (Fri., Sat., Sun.) = $4.00

The following data was posted on-line October 24, 2010
Cape Cod Times Subscriptions - Subscription Services All prices, percentages and numerical data are rounded up.

Daily, delivered:
EZ PAY Automatic credit card payment:
4 weeks @ 21.99 = $6.25 / week. 78%
13 weeks @ 71.47 = $5.50 / week. 68%
26 weeks @ $ 135.72 = $5.22 / week. 65%
52 weeks @ 271.44 = $5.22 / week. 65%

Prepaid
6 Weeks @ $34.80 = $5.80 / week. 73%
12 weeks @ $69.60 = $5.80 / week. 73%
26 weeks @ 143.00 = $5.50 / week. 69%
52 weeks @ $277.16 = $5.33 / week 67%

Prepaid customers are your core subscribers (Older white women). They pay by check so why do you punish them? Or is that the payment schedule you get with your payment service futureofnews.com? Take a look at their site. Amazing the stunts they want to play.

Weekend (Fri., Sat., Sun.)
EZ PAY Automatic credit card payment:
4 weeks @ $17.12 = $4.28 / week. 107%
13 weeks @ $55.64 = $4.29 / week. 108%
26 weeks @ $ 105.56 = $4.06 week. 102%
52 weeks @ $211.12 = $4.06 week. 102%
OK, time out. It costs more than the news stand price for guaranteed sales. It gets better...

Prepaid
8 weeks @ $36.00 = $4.50 / week. 113%
13 weeks @ $58.50 = $4.50 / week. 113%
26 weeks @ $117.00 = $4.50 / week. 113%
52 weeks @ $234.00 = $4.50 / week.113%
So $0.50 a week more than the news stand price to have it thrown in the driveway (missing the box entirely). I used to deliver the paper to the front door. On my bike. After school. In the dark. In the snow. Uphill.

Cape Cod Times Online Options

For current print subscribers:

The next time your subscription renews, you will automatically be signed up for complete online access in addition to the print edition, and the price will increase by 39 cents per week, unless you contact the paper to opt for a print-only subscription.

Wait a minute! Opt out? No, you idiots, NEVER have opt-out; haven't you been paying attention to tech news? 39 cents a week more? Are you high? I'm paying for the damn paper already! That's #20.28 a year for those of you keeping score.

How much is this going to cost to promote your paper?

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Share_10

I think the publishers should think long and hard about what they are about to do. You shot yourself in the foot.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:42 am

Messrs. Provnost and Bryant,

I understand the need for "Pay to Play". Really, I do. Don't charge physical paper subscribers more though, that's poor form. Magazines offer more on-line content for subscribers. 39 cents a week/ $20.28 a year is a real nickel and dime maneuver. "Opt-out" isn't looked upon too well either. Here's a nice article on that subject:
http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/1740185/opt-vs-opt-business-decision
It's a short term gain, long term irritant. Did futureofnews.com come up with this? They have a lovely payment system that punishes subscribers for prepayment like a check. Only old white ladies pay by check. That's your biggest subscriber demographic (I found that tidbit a year ago, I forget where so I can't cite the source).
Way to go! Piss off your current subscribers.

Out of curiosity, what about the block of "Share with Friends"? How much to e-mail, tweet, blog or My Face a story? Will they end up shooting blanks? (sending dead/blocked urls) I don't Digg this.

Online-only options

E-edition: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and may view up to 10 articles, videos and galleries per month. Starting at $2.48 per week.
$9.92 a month, a dollar an article.

Limited internet: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and may view up to 50 articles, videos and galleries per month. Starting at $4.40 per week.
$17.60 a month, $0.35 an article.

Premium internet: Subscribers have daily access to the e-edition and unlimited access to articles, videos and galleries. Starting at $5.52 per week.
Delivered paper, 52 weeks @ 271.44 = $5.22 / week. + $0.39 = $5.61 / week. So $.09 a week to get the physical paper?
Delivered Weekend paper = $4.50 / week or 50 cents more than cover price. If newspapers were taxed, $4.25. Charge more for guaranteed sales, brilliant!
My Sunday Page B-12 Crystal Ball sees a big drop in numbers. Biggest news numbers are when the Cape has national news, biggest draw seems to be Reader's Photos of the Week. And yes, I still keep track. Circulation and internet traffic are related to advertizing rates, aren't they?

Feel free to forward this to Peter Meyer, president of the Cape Cod Media Group. When the numbers shake out by next summer, I'd put him on suicide watch.

Good Luck
Mark "Betep" Smith
betep@verizon.net
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:09 pm

I will be out of the office starting Monday, Oct. 25, and will return on Monday, Nov. 8.

If you have any problems or issues regarding our website, please contact Anne Brennan (508) 862-1147

Gregory
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Well written......but no mistakes/mis-spellings/etc ? Do you think they will be able to comprehend such a clear message?

Curious.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty It's here!

Post  Betep Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 am

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Times_10
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 am

Yes!! the drumroll woke me up ~ bounce
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 am

Every strong community needs quality No journalism, says Pita Miya, president of the Cape Cod Media Group.

"Quality ???????affraid journalism can only occur if it has a revenue stream attached," he said.

And that is why, he said, the Cape Cod Media Group is switching to a subscription model for its online content as of Nov. 9.

"More and more people are turning to the Web to read their news and information," Miya said. "We need to monetize[monopolize] that in some fashion and this seems like the best way for us."

oooooooooooops I see some spelling errors!! Noone will notice & if they do so what!! Long as people pay the bucks - no big deal... right?
I wouldn`t trade my beat up glow-in-the-dark frisbee for a free subscription.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty Cape Cod Today Poll:

Post  Betep Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 am

From Cape Cod Today:
Will the Cape Cod Times paywall succeed?

Yes. Their content is worth the cost. 3.81 % (11)
No. I get news free here & elsewhere. 83.04 % (240)
I'm undecided. 8.30 % (24)
What's the "Cape Cod Times"? 4.84 % (14)

Total votes: 289
One vote is allowed per day

(results as of November 15, 2010)

I don't consider Cape Cod Today a real news source, more of a subjective cull of news with some blogs.

What is Betep's Page Zero? A casual observer. Very casual.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/

Yay!! the Boston Herald is still FREE !!!!!!!!!!

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Smiley-bounce005

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Smiley-bounce016
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:36 am

And free is good!!!

The Barnstable Patriot (same owners as the Cape Cod Times) is still free.
http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/home2/

Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty FAQ: What's premium / non-premium CCOL Web content?

Post  Betep Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:55 pm

FAQ: What's premium / non-premium CCOL Web content?
July 08, 2011

In November 2010, Cape Cod Online/Cape Cod Times - the region's leading news and information resource - began to charge online users a subscription fee to access certain content.

But did you know that not all of our content is premium? In fact, many sections of our website are still non-premium and free. That's right: No charge!

So, just what is premium online content and what isn't? Here's a quickie guide:

Premium content (click for details on subscription rules and options):

* All stories written by Cape Cod Times staffers in news, sports, business, lifestyle sections
* Obituaries
* Times news and sports columnists
* Times opinion pages: editorials, letters to the editor, columnists
* Times photos and photo galleries
* Times news videos

Non-premium content (i.e., accessible at no charge to you):

* Classifieds - Items for sale
* Find a job - Search or browse for a job, post a resume etc.
* Real estate - Search or browse for a Cape Cod house
* Vacation rentals - Find a Cape Cod vacation rental
* Mortgage finder - Searchable guide to Cape Cod banks and mortage lenders
* OnCape.com Destination - Cape lodging, restaurants, activities, beach guide, transit info
* OnCape.com Weddings - Cape weddings directory
* Cape business search - Find a local business by category or name
* Buy and sell cars - Search or browse to buy or sell a new or used car
* FindItOnline.com - Comprehensive Cape Cod business directory with customer reviews and special local coupons/promos to save you money

Still more non-premium content:

* Times entertainment listings, movie reviews and movie theater schedules
* CapeCast videos - Weekday Webcast of the Cape Cod Times
* Reader-submitted photo galleries
* All weather, storm-related and public-information news
* All wire stories from Associated Press and other services
* All Times section fronts - The main, top-level Web pages for news, business, sports, opinion, entertainment, lifestyle, public databases

Pay for Obits?
WTF
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Times retools websites for better organization

By ROBERT GOLD
rgold@capecodonline.com
August 26, 2012

HYANNIS — Change is coming to the Cape Cod Times on Monday.

The newspaper has reorganized its online presence by highlighting different content on its two main websites. "This change will give clear distinction to capecodonline.com and capecodtimes.com and will better serve the diverse needs of our web audience," executive editor Paul Pronovost said. "Capecodonline.com will highlight hot and trending topics, reader engagement and other content with strong reader interest while capecodtimes.com will deliver the high-quality journalism of our award-winning newspaper."

There technically have been two separate websites before this change. But the content and organization were nearly identical, Pronovost said.

Capecodtimes.com will highlight the "premium," paid subscription-based content, such as local news, business, sports and lifestyle articles and photograph galleries, said Anne Brennan, the Times' assistant managing editor for digital media. Readers will still get 10 free clicks a month on that website, she said.

Capecodonline.com will focus on a sampling of big local stories, breaking news, blogs, entertainment news including local reviews, and other features such as reader-submitted photographs. It will also feature prominent national and international news.

Nearly all of this website doesn't require a subscription and has unlimited access, though selected premium local content will also appear. Plans call for the premium stories — which count toward the 10 free monthly clicks and are free to subscirbers — to be identified by a key next to the story's headline.

Brennan said the current website has a "treasure chest" of content people don't know about. This redesign should make it easier for people to find what they want to read or view.

Those that view capecodonline.com will be able to click on a "Today's Cape Cod Times" link to access other features such as sports and columns.

In the coming weeks, there will also be an icon used on both websites that indicates what links are subscription based.

Brennan said there should also be new content unveiled on capecodonline.com in the upcoming months.

Further information about the new features can be accessed at www.capecodonlne.com/FAQpage.

And the torture never stops. enfado
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty Free Cape Cod Times Archives from Yarmouth Port Library and CLAMS.

Post  Betep Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm

I read in the Y-P Library's newsletter that the CC Times will be available on-line.
Website

Just use your CLAMS card at the link.  paper
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty CapeCodOnline.com promotion offers free unlimited access to website

Post  Admin Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm

CapeCodOnline.com promotion offers free unlimited access to website

By CAPE COD TIMES
January 22, 2014

Find out what our subscribers already know: A free trial to CapeCodOnline.com brings you free unlimited online access to all of our locally produced articles, editorials, photographs and more through the end of January.

Enjoy our thorough local news, business, sports, entertainment and lifestyle reporting as well as obituaries, editorials and more.

And when the promotion is over we hope you will consider becoming a subscriber by calling 1-800-286-2233 .

:facepalm: 
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://beteps.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am

CapeCodOnline.com promotion offers free unlimited access to website

Article is #6 this week with 1,571 hits.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

The 'paywall' reaches the Cape Empty Online subscriber passwords changed

Post  Admin Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Online subscriber passwords changed

By CAPE COD TIMES
February 01, 2014

If you're an online subscriber to the Cape Cod Times, your password to log in to the site has changed.

Emails were sent out this morning from Cape Cod Times Subscriber Services, which included a new password for all subscribers. Use this password to log in to CapeCodOnline.com and access premium content.

Be sure to check your spam folder if you cannot find this email. If you still cannot find it, use the "forgot password" option on CapeCodOnline.com and instructions will be sent to you on how to reset your password.

If this doesn't work, make sure you are entering in the correct email address that you originally used to register for your account.

In the event that you can't remember the email address you used, call our customer service line at 1-800-286-2233.
Admin

https://beteps.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down