Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News With Comments:

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

News With Comments: Empty News With Comments:

Post  Betep Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:50 am

General category new with commentary. Links please.

Teachers Hold "End War" Signs At Military Assembly
YARMOUTH (WBZ) ―
Marybeth Verani

"Two teachers at Dennis Yarmouth Regional High School have touched off a firestorm after holding up an "End War" sign at a school assembly where six students who've enlisted in the military were being honored.

Many in the community say the teachers crossed a line and treated their own students with disrespect.

The students received a standing ovation, but at that point the two teachers sat down refusing to clap."

I'm sorry, that's just wrong... Smile and clap politely, just as the students do for you in your classrooms. I'm very impressed that their classrooms were papered with "Support our Troops" leaflets.
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Re: DY Teachers Protest

Post  Old Caper Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:09 am

It was more than just wrong. It was insulting to the military and to the students who had enlisted. It also insulted the student body as a whole by publicly criticizing life choices. It's a teacher's job to teach students how to think, not what to think. Whether or not you, as a teacher, agree with their ultimate choice, it's none of your business.

By disrupting a public meeting they laid themselves open to a charge of disturbing the peace and should have been removed on the spot. By claiming they acted as they did in order to teach children how to protest they insulted everyone's intelligence. They should be terminated. If tenure laws prevent that, they should be assigned jobs which afford them as little contact with students as possible. Perhaps home tutoring would be one option.

The principal comes across as a wimp. Although any action will come from the superintendent or school committee, a strong stand from him would go a long way toward resolving the issue by putting the faculty on notice. By equivocating he merely exacerbates the situation. Perhaps a reprimand for him might also be in order.
Old Caper
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Re: News With Comments:

Post  Betep Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:00 pm

I've been wondering if the recruits still return to D-Y for a visit after they finish basic or one of their first schools. It used to be common when I went there. They would stop and talk to a couple teachers and classes. The Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard people came back looking fit and trim and spoke of reaching new heights etc., Army came back really full of themselves and all their new physical accomplishments and discipline. Marines were borderline psycho.
I remember one fresh Marine that came into my gym class and challenged the teacher (wrestling coach) to a wrestle. Whipped his ass, put on his shirt and said "I could have killed him with my bare hands. That's why you should join the Marines. Semper Fi." and walked out.

I have sent the articles to my buddy from high school that did 20+ years as a Marine. He's not too happy with these teachers (his MOM was a teacher, POP was a cop; perfect Marine recruit).
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Re: News with Comments

Post  Old Caper Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I would think individual kids decide for themselves whether to visit their school. It depends, too, on the time of year and stuff. I remember one kid, probably late 1970s, a real tough guy. Not a bad kid but a chip on his shoulder all the time.

He joined the Marines upon graduation and came back a few years later as a recruiting Sergeant for a month or so in the spring. He sat at a table in the cafeteria during lunch and talked to kids. The rest of the day he had a desk in the Guidance office and kids could talk to him if they wished.

He wore his dress uniform and looked sharp. He was as polite and soft spoken as could be but still very direct. The same kid underneath but now he had a polish that enabled the toughness to show through without the belligerence. I know there were teachers who were peaceniks but they never said a word. The boys looked up to him. The girls, of course, almost ate him up.
Old Caper
Old Caper

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Another report, some different comments
From the Register:
Teachers in spotlight after anti-war statement

By Nicole Muller
THE REGISTER
Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 04:46 PM
SOUTH YARMOUTH —

Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School teacher Marybeth Verani and an unidentified colleague left school Monday after their behavior at Friday’s senior assembly outraged the school at large.

For the fifth consecutive year, school resource officer Nick Pasquarosa recognized those seniors who had enlisted in the military. “While Nick was speaking, one faculty member held up a sign saying “End war” and another female teacher stood beside her,” said Assistant Principal Ann Knell. “The two faculty members sat down and did not clap during a school-wide standing ovation for those students.”

Knell said that during lunch that day, students wrote messages supporting the six seniors entering the military on the T-shirts they were wearing. “This is certainly inviting discussion. Many students were shocked and hurt, and all sorts of emotions came out.”

When Knell arrived at school Monday morning, three students dressed in “quasi-military clothing waving American flags” were standing out in front. “They came early to be there when everyone arrived, then came inside when it was time for homeroom,” she said.
Rest of story

It just bothers me. If it was the same assembly we had 30 years ago, Honor Roll was alphabetically announced, "The following (alphabetically) schools have accepted the following (alphabetically) students, the following (alphabetically) students have joined the following (alphabetically) branches of the armed services". No big deal. Granted, it was still "Kill a commie for Mommy" time and Grenada was months away, but everyone smiled and clapped politely agree or disagree.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 am

Senior assembly an inspiring event
By HELEN ANDREASSIAN
June 17, 2010

"On Friday, I attended for the first time the senior last assembly at Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School and was greatly impressed by the solemnity of the occasion, the respect the whole student body displayed toward the graduating class of 2010, and the formality of the event.

The seniors of the class of 2010 were dressed in their graduating green gowns and were led in by the processional pomp and circumstance played by the D-Y band. The seniors respectfully marched two by two and were led by the class marshals Allison Sinofsky and Sam Zurn.

The program, which lasted one hour, was well-planned and executed. Kenneth Jenks, the principal at D-Y, began the program by setting the tone of the formality of the occasion. The entire audience felt the importance of this annual last assembly."
Read story

That's what I remember, an hour or so of congratulations with 5 minutes about some guys joining the armed services. CC Today said it was a pro-war rally...
I would have hoped the two teachers though more along the lines of "I hope they remember how to write properly and there are 100 Senators and 435 Representatives in Congress".
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Senior Assembly

Post  Betep Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:34 am

It's been showing non-stop all weekend on Comcast's Channel 22, D-Y Local Access.
MAYBE 5 minutes was about the kids joining up. Hardly the Pro-War-Recruiting assembly some have made it out to be. The speeches by 2 Foreign Exchange Students were longer.
30 seconds of applause is nice because basic training in the summer is brutal. No, I didn't go, but I've sailed past Parris Island and Camp LeJeune in the summer and it's plenty hot and humid.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Is it irony?

Post  Betep Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am

Cape's outside showers violate law
By C. RYAN BARBER
barber.c.ryan@gmail.com
July 02, 2010

Outdoor showers have a dirty little secret: They aren't always so clean.

At least not environmentally — or with regard to the law.

When used for purposes beyond rinsing off after a day at the beach, outdoor showers violate Title 5 of the state Environmental Code, Cape health officials said.

"It's one thing to wash off quickly," said Dennis Health Department Director Terry Hayes. "But when you are doing outside what you would be doing inside — using soap — then it's a violation of Title 5."

Here's where the irony comes into play: Within the past 2 months, the Times asked readers to submit pix of their outdoor showers, showing a photo of some outrageous $30,000 (if memory serves) shower on Nantucket. I searched for the request but couldn't find it. I was going to take a picture of my solar powered shower a hose on my driveway. Scalding hot for a few seconds but cools down rapidly. affraid

Last edited by Betep on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:13 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : bbcode)
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Re: Is it Irony?

Post  mermaid Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:25 am

Suspect !!!! That would explain the collective ten or so voices I heard recently from the direction of the Hyannis CCT`s area;........ "WHOOPS!!!!"

Thanks for clearing that up V!
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty What A out Landscaping?

Post  Old Caper Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:28 pm

The Times rails against outdoor showers but lays off the poisons being poured into the ground by professional landscapers and/or grass worshiping home owners. and soaked in by elaborate, water wasting automatic sprinkling systems. I wonder why. Not.
Old Caper
Old Caper

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Dennis cottage residents back new zoning

Post  Betep Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Dennis cottage residents back new zoning
By Cynthia Mccormick
cmccormick@capecodonline.com
July 10, 2010

WEST DENNIS — There was a reason Denise Lipper brought a plastic bag of store receipts to yesterday's discussion about re-zoning local cottage colonies.

A seasonal resident of Campers Haven in Dennisport, Lipper said the receipts demonstrate how much she and her husband, Kevin Lipper, are contributing to the local economy.

In the past two weeks, the couple has spent $920 at locations such as Ring Brothers in South Dennis and Royal Pizza and Aluminum Products of Cape Cod, both in Dennisport.

And the Lippers aren't alone. Thousands of summer people along Old Wharf Road eat at local restaurants and patronize local stores, offering Dennis voters a compelling reason to support special new zoning that would protect the cottage colonies and recreational vehicle parks in Dennisport, Lipper said.

I've been watching this story for a while. For God's sake, don't kill the character of Cape Cod! Marriott Dennisport is just frightening. Red Jacket and gang are going to do that in South Yarmouth after the town passed a 3 story exemption on South Shore Road. What I find scarry is visitors are now looking to stay in a cookie-cutter chain hotel, eat in a franchise, shop in WalMart and miss what makes the area unique.

Edit to add a link to: Photo Gallery: In the Grove: Dennisport cottage colony celebrates 80 years from the Register.

Last edited by Betep on Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty More Dennis Cottage stuff

Post  Betep Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:26 pm

From Cape Cod Today:
Town of Dennis and Old Wharf residents hash out a proposal for fall Town Meeting
By Gerald Rogovin

Resisting the lure of the Dennis beaches on a sunny Friday afternoon with temperatures in the 80s outside, about 50 cottage and RV owners along Old Wharf Road resumed the task of refining a zoning proposal that would create seasonal resort communities in the town.

Working along with Town Planner Daniel J. Fortier, the group spent just over two hours at the West Dennis Expanded Schoolhouse on a third draft of the proposal.
I don't live in Dennis, but this irks me. I'd rather see a place like this than a Corporate Hotel. Cape Cod is Cape Cod, not some Disney fantasy. Yarmouth caved in to Davenport Realty lifting a 3 story building height restriction.
See: South Shore Drive hotels get approval from Yarmouth Planning Board
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Which is it?

Post  Betep Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Same story, different reports.
From the Cape Cod Times:
Snorkeler rescued off Grays Beach
By Patrick Cassidy
pcassidy@capecodonline.com
July 21, 2010

YARMOUTHPORT – Fire officials from Yarmouth and Barnstable responded to a man snorkeling off of Grays Beach with an unidentified medical condition.

Fire officials received a call for a water rescue shortly before 10 a.m., Yarmouth fire Capt. Phil Simonian said this morning. They sent a paramedic and EMT on a personal watercraft and the Barnstable Fire District assisted with a boat, Simonian said.

Another boat was with the man when fire officials arrived and he was taken to shore on the personal watercraft, Simonian said.
After he was evaluated the man, who was described as middle aged, refused to be taken to the hospital. He was released into the care of family members, Simonian said.

From Cape Wide Today:
Ailing boater brought ashore
YARMOUTHPORT - At about 9:45 a.m. Wednesday the Yarmouth Fire Dept responded to the Bass Hole beach in Yarmouthport for a report of a person in distress on a boat near Lone Tree creek between the beach and the Barnstable town line.

Apparently the adult male boater was heading into Barnstable Harbor from Cape Cod Bay with a companion when he began to feel ill and called 911 for assistance.

The Yarmouth Fire Department launched their jet ski, located the victim (pictured between two rescue personnel above) and brought him to the Bass Hole landing for evaluation where he declined transport to the hospital. The other person on the boat continued on into Barnstable Harbor with the assistance of the Barnstable Fire Department.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Officials urge caution after military ordnance found on beach

Post  Betep Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 am

Officials urge caution after military ordnance found on beach
October 13, 2010

TRURO — Police are cautioning residents to be careful after what appeared to be unexploded military ordnance was found on a beach Monday.

A resident found the object on a beach and, believing it was an explosive device, reported it to the police department, according to a press release from Truro police.

The Massachusetts State Police Bomb Squad was called in, recovered the object and took it to a safe location for detonation, the press release said.

Authorities are asking anyone who finds a suspicious object to leave it where it is and to contact police. Windy conditions and low tides sometimes uncover buried items, including munitions that may be unstable, according to police.

The device found Monday was definitely military ordnance but because of its condition its origin could not be determined, state Department of Fire Services spokeswoman Donna Nelson said. It is being handed over to the Navy for disposal, she said.
Sad
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Training grenade causes evacuation of Minot Forest Elementary

Post  Betep Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Training grenade causes evacuation of Minot Forest Elementary
By Jaime Rebhan | Oct 29, 2010

Minot Forest Elementary was evacuated Friday afternoon after a training grenade was found in a child's backpack, Wareham Fire Captain Bruce Kelenosy confirmed.

The device was found to be inert by emergency responders.

The incident was reported around 1:30 p.m. after a student showed a "suspicious object" to her teacher, Wareham Public Schools Superintendent Barry Rabinovitch said. The teacher informed Principal Joan Seamans, who evacuated the building.

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Cemetary vandalism in graveyards

Post  Betep Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Police investigate Hyannis cemetery vandalism
November 07, 2010

HYANNIS — Vandals have been desecrating the Oak Grove Cemetery on Sea Street, knocking over headstones regularly since Halloween, according to the Barnstable police.

Many of the headstones date back to the 1800s, Barnstable police Sgt. Sean Sweeney said. About 40 have been damaged so far, he said.

The cemetery has a history of vandalism. In December last year, dozens of headstones were knocked over. And January 2008, the police reported 30 grave markers damaged by vandals.

The Barnstable police are investigating the vandalism.

Another case of cemetery vandalism in Hyannis
HYANNIS - Barnstable Police are investigating the second case of cemetery vandalism in as many days.

On Saturday several gravestones were discovered toppled in the Oak Grove Cemetery on Sea Street in Hyannis. This is not the first time there has been vandalism to that Cemetery.

Police are looking to see if there is any connection with the discovery of similar vandalism in a cemetery in Barnstable Village discovered on Friday.
Post small groups of Goth kids in the cemeteries with cameras and cell phones. They like cemeteries and late night and a lot are pretty artistic so they probably know photography. Take pix of the vandals and call the cops.
News With Comments: 218316097_4c6b760e78
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Yarmouth Police start new year with social networking

Post  Betep Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Yarmouth Police start new year with social networking
YARMOUTH - The Yarmouth Police Department has begun to incorporate Facebook and Twitter into their community policing mission by using the network to serve a variety of needs.

Pages will be created to help find missing and wanted persons as well as help citizens stay informed regarding crime trends and with current and future events.

Yarmouth Police will also continue to post media releases and surveillance footage asking the public to help identify suspects in the videos or photos.

YPD currently has 457 followers on Facebook and encourage everyone to follow them as part of their wider public education and communications strategy as they finish strong in 2010 and move forward into 2011.
Release furnished by Yarmouth Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am

Town commissions work with the state to save trees on Route 6A
By Alison McCall
The Register
Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 11:35 AM
CAPE COD —

At least 37 trees are to be removed from Barnstable’s stretch of Route 6A in roughly two weeks, in the state’s attempt to make the area safer.

“Because of a recent insect infestation, many trees in Southeastern Massachusetts have died in the past few years,” said Massachusetts Department of Transportation spokesman Richard Nangle, pointing to the parasitic winter moth as the culprit. “It is noted that a tree fell in Yarmouth a few years ago, resulting in a fatality.”

Though high, the number is a compromise between local committees and the state. Residents on the relatively new Route 6A Tree Committee were able to examine the original list – 44 trees – and compile a report on the health, safety hazards or canopy impact of each tree, with the help of the town’s tree warden. By coordinating with the state, the town has ensured both safety and the preservation of the route’s characteristic canopy, including replanting efforts.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/barnstable/topstories/x104382185/Town-commissions-work-with-the-state-to-save-trees-on-Route-6A
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 am

by Betep on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 pm

YARMOUTH - The Yarmouth Police Department has begun to incorporate Facebook and Twitter into their community policing mission by using the network to serve a variety of needs.

Pages will be created to help find missing and wanted persons as well as help citizens stay informed regarding crime trends and with current and future events.

Yarmouth Police will also continue to post media releases and surveillance footage asking the public to help identify suspects in the videos or photos.

YPD currently has 457 followers on Facebook and encourage everyone to follow them as part of their wider public education and communications strategy as they finish strong in 2010 and move forward into 2011.
Release furnished by Yarmouth Police

Isn`t there a law against this????????????? Big Brotha movin` closer all the time.. facebook has its evil qualities about it...the cops using this stuff ? Think of all the games facebook folks can do to play with the cops minds...creating `stuff` which is all lies. A big NO from me Suspect
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty "Cops and robbers" gets a little too real in Eastham

Post  Betep Mon May 02, 2011 8:47 am

From Cape Wide News:
"Cops and robbers" gets a little too real in Eastham
EASTHAM - Some tense moments when reports came in of kids with guns in Eastham Sunday afternoon. Officers raced to a residential area off Campground Road around 2 p.m. Luckily it was quickly determined the rifles were fake and the kids were only playing a game of "Cops and robbers".

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 am

I did Not know WXTK had this link. Very cool.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon May 02, 2011 11:03 am

mermaid wrote:I did Not know WXTK had this link. Very cool.

http://home.comcast.net/~n1riw/capenews.htm

Explains it. Kinda.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

News With Comments: Empty Bathhouse battle at Dennis Town Meeting

Post  Betep Fri May 06, 2011 7:56 am

From The Register: Bathhouse battle at Dennis Town Meeting
SOUTH DENNIS —

It took four hand counts and heated debate before Dennis residents Tuesday night approved — by one vote — the construction of a $900,000 bathhouse at Corporation Beach.

With a septic system that failed close to 10 years ago requiring frequent pumping and having no handicap accessibility, and a building that is non-compliant with building codes, many residents insisted that a new bathhouse is essential. It would be funded, Town Administrator Rick White explained, by the beach capital improvement fund, which will pay off the bond over four years, with no permanent borrowing and no impact on property taxes. Those who use the town’s beaches would foot the bill, as a percentage of gate receipts is dedicated to the beach capital improvement fund.

Peter McDowell of Dennis led opponents. “Our board of selectmen seems to be on a major spending program to create new town buildings,” McDowell said, noting plans to renovate and expand Town Hall and the senior center. “How much more expensive do we want to make it to live in Dennis? The cost of a trophy beach house will be much larger than what appears here.”

Read more: Bathhouse battle at Dennis Town Meeting - - Wicked Local Dennis http://www.wickedlocal.com/dennis/features/x1826249968/Bathhouse-battle-at-Dennis-Town-Meeting#ixzz1LZXrzFW2

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 am

Will they not be for the public to view?
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 am

All this AND they can`t afford to pay anyone to cover 4 beaches in Dennis to check for beach stickers? I`m not buying that for a second.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next