Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A

Go down

Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A Empty Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A

Post  Betep Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:37 am

Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A

At considerable expense to taxpayers, the bike trails on Cape Cod have been drastically extended and improved, with bridges over roadways and other measures to improve bikers’ safety.

These miles and miles of beautiful bike trails are a great tourist attraction and afford a safe separation of vehicular traffic and bikers.

My concern is bikers on Route 6A, sometimes two and three abreast, many with very little skill in safety. They greatly impede the flow of traffic, as some drivers are afraid to pass them, thus backing up traffic. And the bikers are exposed to considerable risk of injury from desperate motorists. I feel bicycle traffic should be prohibited from Route 6A with the exception of a one-day charity event on a Sunday once or twice in the summer, with uniformed police officers as monitors.

Allen Morrisey

Yarmouth Port

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A Empty Re: Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A

Post  Betep Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:28 am

Sometimes Rte. 6A is a cyclist’s best option

I write in response to the June 25 letter “Cyclists should be kept off of Route 6A.”

The bike trails on the Cape are a great option for cyclists, and we are lucky to have them.

However, as they don’t extend the entire length of the Cape, sometimes taking a trail is not an option. For example, no bike path connects Sandwich and Dennis, a stretch of over 30 miles. Often the best option is to take Route 6A. And while I sympathize with those uncomfortable passing bicyclists, I respectfully disagree with the notion that cyclists should be kept off 6A.

Knowing bike laws and bike safety is the best way we can help one another. For example, cyclists in Massachusetts must obey traffic lights, ride with the flow of traffic and not ride more than two abreast unless there is more than one lane in that direction of travel. Motorists must use their turn signals, look for cyclists before opening car doors and wait until there is room to safely pass cyclists.

Also, honking or screaming to express frustration can startle the biker and cause an accident. Drivers must be patient. They’ll get to their destination. We all must share the road.

Shannon Davis Sandwich
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down