Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great white`s capture a big surprise

2 posters

Go down

Great white`s capture a big surprise Empty Great white`s capture a big surprise

Post  mermaid Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 am

www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110129/NEWS/101290306" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110129/NEWS/101290306

By Doug Fraser
dfraser@capecodonline
January 29, 2011
You might have thought summertime was the only time sharks cruised Cape waters.

But a week before Christmas, experts got the unexpected news that a fishing vessel caught a reported 20-foot long great white just a few miles off Chatham.

What: "Sharks in Chatham" with shark expert Greg Skomal, sponsored by Outermost Harbor Marine

When: 9 to 11:30 a.m. today

Where: Chatham Community Center, 702 Main St. Chatham

"That caught me off-guard," said Greg Skomal, shark researcher and senior biologist for the state Division of Marine Fisheries.

Skomal has been examining fairly routine initial data on sharks that were tagged last summer, but the news about last month's catch was out of the norm.

"That really pushed what we were getting from the tags," he said. "It showed there's quite an amount of variability."

The waters off Chatham this December were in the low 40s, Skomal said. Although great whites can raise their body temperature enough to function in cold water, the bulk of a 20-footer probably helped insulate it, Skomal said.

click link above to read the rest...
A big surprise in more ways than one!!!! NOT surprised this was kept from public knowledge...but WTF ? its more than a month after the fact. Whats the harm in putting the news out there `As It Happens` ?????

I admire & appreciate Skomal & his studies. Yet am dissapointed we are only hearing about it today and I`ve got a feeling we are only being enlightened now b/c someone was going to report it in another way. Good grief. I want answers dammit. I wish I had the time to attend today`s talk in Chatham.
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Great white`s capture a big surprise Empty Re: Great white`s capture a big surprise

Post  Betep Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:49 am

I doubt the information was "suppressed", rather just not found by the CCT. Probably some scuttlebutt around the fishing docks and perhaps in the shark science publications. Maybe didn't dawn on anyone it was really "news". *shrug*
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Great white`s capture a big surprise Empty Re: Great white`s capture a big surprise

Post  mermaid Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 am

Betep wrote:I doubt the information was "suppressed", rather just not found by the CCT. Probably some scuttlebutt around the fishing docks and perhaps in the shark science publications. Maybe didn't dawn on anyone it was really "news". *shrug*

You could be right.

At least CCT`s didn`t put it under `Breaking news.` Gotta give `em credit for that!

More anon........I`m on it but not with the vengence I had yesterday. I`ve made a few calls to people `on the docks` in Chatham..... to be continued.... !!!
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Great white`s capture a big surprise Empty White shark updates

Post  mermaid Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:23 pm

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/Page12updatedwhitesharkinfo.html

A tuna spotter pilot Wayne Davis, returning to Chatham airport on Labor Day weekend 2008,
spotted a large shark about 200 yds off the beach. Wayne is an experienced spotter pilot who
realized it was not a basking shark; he turned around and went back for a better look. After
observing the shark, he determined it was a white shark; and took several photos. Marine
biologists later examined the photos and identified it as a white shark. I saw one of those photos;
and it was indeed a white, Carcharodon carcharias.

The spotter pilot called a Cape Cod Newspaper and told them about the sighting, and told them
that he had photographic proof that it was a white shark.

Here is part of Wayne's e-mail to me: “I reported it to the (newspaper) and they said they weren't
interested 'cuz they'd done a few stories this summer already about people witnessing shark on
seal attacks around Chatham. I thought the (newspaper) response was very strange, not only 'cuz
I had a photo to go with the report, but because there were 6-10 surfers less than a mile south of
the shark....& the shark was swimming SOUTH.”

Strange indeed. I wonder if you called a local newspaper and told them of a local unusual car
accident that had just occurred and that you were an eyewitness, and had photos; if they would
say they weren't interested in the story, because they'd done a few stories already about
previous automobile accidents.

I suspect we have life imitating art on Cape Cod. Remember the scene in “Jaws” where Mayor
Vaughn is concerned about the Police Chief Martin Brody panicking the beachgoers with shark
talk. "Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell
shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July." Only in this case it was Labor Day
weekend 2008.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down