Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free is cheap!

2 posters

Go down

Free is cheap! Empty Free is cheap!

Post  Betep Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Free is cheap and often better than paid programs. This article from the Boston Herald reiterates my disdain for the "Make your computer faster" ads on TV.

Make your computer run faster, and all for free
By Paul Restuccia
Monday, September 20, 2010
You’ve all seen the ads on TV for programs to make your computer run faster. They go something like this: “Spyware, malware, pop-ups and spam have slowed your computer to a crawl.” The remedy is go to a Web site for a free check-up, which turns out not to be free. They’ll fix one problem, but you have to buy the program to get the rest of the repairs.

Well, from my own experience I have a piece of advice that borrows one of these ad’s taglines: “Don’t Waste Your Money.” These programs are no better than what you can easily find for free on the Web.
Rest of the story
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Free is cheap! Empty Re: Free is cheap!

Post  mermaid Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Personally I`ve not seen these ads on tv. Lucky me! If I have I`m sure I just tune them out with most things I have no interest in. Which covers all commercials now that I think of it.

Also lucky me! bounce bounce ; because of this website, my ancient computer works better than when I first got it. Again many thanks to you George, oops, I mean Betep for helping me with your knowledge & extreme patience & humor...

Only thing I may be doing soon to add to the fun is ditching my landline & going with Verizon hi-speed internet.. !! No this isn`t `free`, however my time is $. And seems there`s less & less `free time` of late.
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 am

There are some good things to be had from the Verizon DSL, but you have to keep the land line. $20 for simple DSL or $30 for faster DSL. Both give a router/modem for free, but require a land line and a year (maybe 2) contract.

I have had a DSL for a while @ $30 per month for a few years.

I have had both computers, a guest laptop and iPhone running at the same time with no degradation.

Free is cheap! 966506625
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 am

Really.
Keep the landline. I heard verizon was dropping their landline service soon. Do I hear the word `monopoly` ?
Anyway, I`m trying to cut the costs, & rev up the speed of this pc. What i have now is comperable to making the switch as it was explained to me at VERIZON wireless store.
However, you`ve been happy with your service..helps to know this. I`ll need to talk to those people again.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 am

Verizon doesn't know what they want to do. They offer some great deals, but they aren't getting out of the copper wire to house market yet. They haven't yet got Fiber Optic (FiOs) to house yet, so the best speed they have is about/advertised 3 Mbs down .7 up.

UP TO 3/7! Sometimes I get better than 3 down, I run .71-.73 up. My ping has increased from 22 ms to up to 39 as shown by a recent test.
Free is cheap! 966880854

Sometimes it's OK, sometimes I want to scream. YMMV. What a Face I had to deal with a Cape-wide Comcast outage this summer. No phone, cable TV or Internet. I was at work and couldn't run credit cards. I had ONE back-up copper line than got maxed out with a few phones and a dial-up connection. I had unfriendly in-house calls from guests.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Free is cheap! Empty OpenOffice.org

Post  Betep Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:43 pm

OpenOffice is a FREE office software suite that is compatible with most every other office application. I've been looking at it for a while but after a reformat, my Microsoft Word and Office wanted too much from me. I downloaded OpenOffice (takes a while) and installed it painlessly. After an hour of playing with the functions, I have more than a clue because it's so much like those other office programs I used to use.

Go Team!
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:12 am

SAS performed a `custom` scan while I slept...
Found! 2 potential threats. They were put in prison promptly & quarrentined. Arraignment to follow.

Reboot.

This morning I got my yahoo mail back. bounce

Why would I need OpenOffice? I like the sound of `suite`
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm

To the Dungeon!
What are the names of the nasties?

OOo is like MS Office, Works, Word Perfect and Word. It takes up less room though.

After I did a "Non-Destructive System Recovery", some of my "old" programs, that worked just fine, were deemed "too old". Word didn't work. Word Perfect didn't work. For some $$$ they would sell me the new versions. Nope. Works didn't work but would let me upgrade for free, however it's not the defacto / default program of choice and doesn't plat well with others if I were to sent a document via e-mail. Free is cheap! Enfado

Suite just means it does a few things like write letters, databases, graphics, and all the stuff the other programs use.

Plus I kinda like the idea of open-source programs. They're not written for $$$, just the love of programming a functional bit of software. It just made sense to ditch the old programs that no longer worked because M$ wanted to sell me something "new & improved" (bloated & slow).

Last edited by Betep on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:40 am

Betep wrote;
"Plus I kinda like the idea of open-source programs. They're not written for $$$, just the love of programming a functional bit of software. It just made sense to ditch the old programs that no longer worked because M$ wanted to sell me something "new & improved" (bloated & slow)."

I like the way you think- Plus, only you could come up with `bloated & slow` description. You are an original!
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 am

I can't take credit for using those terms.
From PC Mag.com: Definition of: bloatware

"Software that is so overloaded with functionality that its performance suffers. At the very least, it takes a long time to load the program. Software vendors have the perception that more is always better, or at least more marketable."
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down