Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SHARK!

2 posters

Go down

SHARK! Empty SHARK!

Post  Betep Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 pm

From the Cape Cod Times:
Monster Shark Tournament spawns payback fantasies
July 24, 2010

This just in off the wire services: After inhabiting our oceans for millions of years without natural enemies, the shark community has voted to fight back against blood harvests of their species and sponsor the First Annual People Tournament to be held off the beaches of Chatham.

There will be no trophies or swilling of brew, just the satisfaction of payback.

Rick Lesniewicz

Marstons Mills

Rick, Buddy,
Think of the children! The Martha's Vineyard Shark Fest pales in comparison to the real killers in the South Pacific. Focus and have a Mako steak that used to be donated to the local food banks / shelters. They stopped taking the donated food for fear of the PC Brigade. A good legal mako is a prize to a fisherman. Steaks for the family, a set of jaws for the tourists and a waterproof hide that makes a cow look silly.
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

SHARK! Empty Re: SHARK!

Post  mermaid Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:37 am

Betep wrote:From the Cape Cod Times:
Monster Shark Tournament spawns payback fantasies
July 24, 2010

This just in off the wire services: After inhabiting our oceans for millions of years without natural enemies, the shark community has voted to fight back against blood harvests of their species and sponsor the First Annual People Tournament to be held off the beaches of Chatham.

There will be no trophies or swilling of brew, just the satisfaction of payback.

Rick Lesniewicz

Marstons Mills

Rick, Buddy,
Think of the children! The Martha's Vineyard Shark Fest pales in comparison to the real killers in the South Pacific. Focus and have a Mako steak that used to be donated to the local food banks / shelters. They stopped taking the donated food for fear of the PC Brigade. A good legal mako is a prize to a fisherman. Steaks for the family, a set of jaws for the tourists and a waterproof hide that makes a cow look silly.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I gotta go with Rick on this. Killing of these and/or any creatures is simply heathen. Here or the South Pacific. Thinking of the children, I feel it sends the wrong message to them as well.
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 am

Hunters and fishermen (people) are usually more in tune with critters than the eco-happy people. Consider the facts of last year's Shark Tournament: 120 boats caught 14 sharks that were killed. I caught a few back in the day. A good fight and fine eating! I've had a few fish reeled in half gone from sharks too.

Too many seals because the Inuits stopped clubbing babies AS THEY HAVE since time immemorial. A ruined culture.

That being said, I'd love to see a shark munch a seal. Much more dramatic than a squirrel eating acorns. I did see a hawk snag a baby squirrel in the spring. Wow.
Shark Week on Nat Geo channel soon. Great footage in the previews.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:51 am

Consider it considered.
However, I`m not eco-anything. Not gonna stand on any soap-boxes or run to Washington DC with a petition.

I simply don`t believe in killing anything to raise $$. Especially innocent creatures who have harmed noone.

For example, our great whites. They`ve been around these waters for years. They are here to do what mother nature intended..... complete the cycle which was in place long before humans walked the earth.
This past month I observed a few terrific examples of this cycle;

1. A majestic osprey flying back to his little ones with a large trout clasped in his/her feet.

2. A crow with a baby bird clutched in its feet, back to feed his/her little ones.

3. Swans- mom & dad, with 5 cygnets whom I`ve been watching daily for months; Yesterday there were 4 not 5 cygnets. If you are familiar with swans, you know this was caused by a coyote or some such animal who was very stealthy; as swans fight nearly to the death to protect their children. [ I know first hand!! as I was chased by a mom swan- she thought I had food- it wasn`t a fun happening... quite scary in fact! Yet left me appreciating even more, the mission all animals have to survive using their instincts]

4. A crow, dead in the road. Killed by a human! driving a car. hhmmm. Unintentionally I`m sure.

There`s a ton more killing, clubbing, hacking, etc. happening of animals for the fun? of it than I want to know about. Including `justified` [ahem..] reasons. Catching/killing of sharks as a fund raiser? I feel its more of 'mine is bigger than yours' ego type motives over raising of $.

Bottom line, we can learn alot from all these creatures. But we need to leave them be. One final thought, when was the last time you read about a shark being hauled into court for domestic violence? drunken disorderly conduct?

My passion rests.... mostly b/c I`m late for work.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Seal protections create imbalance
By PAUL McCLANAHAN
September 24, 2009

The recent increase in sightings of great white sharks in the coastal waters off of Cape Cod has made the news in a rather sensational way. Great whites are now present in our near-shore areas in numbers sufficient to produce multiple sightings and ultimately cause beach closures.

These spectacular animals are here for one reason, and that is the abundance of a favorite food source in the many seals that now inhabit a wide range of Cape Cod's seashore and islands, with a particularly large population on Monomoy Island. The sharks themselves pose only a minimal threat to humans and no threat to the marine ecology; however, the same cannot be said for the shark's favored food source.
I ran across this looking up this weeks top story. Pretty much says why there are so damn many seals. I'd be really upset if they started taking over docks like they have in California. They're breeding machines that have protection (don't use protection).
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

SHARK! Empty Safe to go swimming???

Post  mermaid Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:13 pm

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100806/NEWS11/100809817/-1/ARCHIVEBy ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 06, 2010WESTPORT - A popular state beach in Westport has reopened to swimming on a limited basis but shark sightings continue to cause some anxiety in southeastern Massachusetts.

State Department of Conservation and Recreation spokeswoman Wendy Fox says Horseneck Beach reopened on Friday after being closed one day earlier. But officials have reduced the swimming area and are urging people not to go any further than waist deep into the water.

Another state-run beach, Fort Phoenix in Dartmouth, has also been reopened to swimming.
But several locally-run beaches along Buzzards Bay remain closed.

State police were hoping to conduct aerial surveillance for sharks later on Friday after being grounded by a low ceiling on Thursday
..........................................................................................................................
Oh come now. People People !! Swimming in waist deep water is insanity. Are they forgetting a shark can swim faster than someone trying to get out of the water from waist deep & more than likely in a reasonable state of panic ?? I for one am not buying it. Anymore than my stuffed animal, Binkley is. He`s pretty darn slick too. Last I knew there are still plenty of seals left.
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down