Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The (re) Naming of Places

3 posters

Go down

The (re) Naming of Places Empty The (re) Naming of Places

Post  Betep Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Renaming places and things on the map is a popular pastime. A recent letter to The Register asks to rename "Marconi" Beach "Tesla": Name National Seashore Beach for Tesla. A Bill presented to the Massachusetts House and Senate by Cleon H. Turner, Robert A. O'Leary aims to rename the Bass River Bridge the "United States Marine Corporal Nicholas G. Xiarhos Bridge". Mountains renamed in California and New Hampshire for Ronald Reagan.

I'm sure there is nothing but the best intentions behind these proposals, but it tends to rile up the natives. Leave well enough alone; find or build something new. Rename Cape Cod for the late Sen. Kennedy? Cape Kennedy didn't work well in Florida. Leningrad and Stalingrad were a bust too.
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

The (re) Naming of Places Empty re:THE (RE) NAMING OF PLACES

Post  mermaid Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Honestly. Give it up! Sure, perhaps my native colors are showing. I don`t mind. Re-name "Bass River Bridge", "The United States Marine Corporal Nicholas G. Xiarhos Bridge" ? Get Out ! Not only does it show favoritsm, leaving out millions who`ve also put their lives on the line for our country, its waayyyyy too long! Cape Kennedy? I don`t think so Tim. If that happens I`m moving.
Well, maby.

mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

The (re) Naming of Places Empty Renaming of Places

Post  Old Caper Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 am

Betep: "I'm sure there is nothing but the best intentions behind these proposals"

I'm not so sure. My opinion: they're nothing but vote whores trying to take advantage of current events for their own selfish reasons. Further, they have no respect for tradition. What happens if another Marine, heaven forbid, gets killed next month? Change the name again? Add his name?
Old Caper
Old Caper

Capricorn Posts : 17

http://mysite.verizon.net/rogrs/

Back to top Go down

The (re) Naming of Places Empty Re: The (re) Naming of Places

Post  Betep Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 am

Well, this was resolved!
Bass River Bridge renaming dropped
By Karen Jeffrey
kjeffrey@capecodononline.com
November 10, 2010

SOUTH YARMOUTH — The Bass River and a few hundred yards separate veterans memorials in South Yarmouth and West Dennis.

Thursday, both parks will play host to ceremonies honoring generations of men and women in the armed services...

...To get from one ceremony to the other, ceremony participants will transverse the Bass River Bridge, which a few months ago was on track to be renamed for Cpl. Nicholas Xiarhos, a Yarmouth native son killed in action in Afghanistan July 23, 2009.

But that has changed.

Legislation to rename the bridge is withering away in committee, said state Rep. Cleon Turner, D-Dennis, who sponsored the bill on behalf of Cape Cod AmVets Post 333. The stalling of the bill is not because the Legislature is reluctant to honor fallen troops — this year the state has already approved renaming a half dozen bridges and roads in honor of veterans. Instead, the renaming of the Cape bridge has fallen victim to opposition from local residents who have expressed opposition to the plan, Turner said.

"I got dozens and dozens of calls from people opposed to the idea," he said in a telephone interview last week. "In all my years in public office, I've never seen anything quite like this."

"Some people felt as though the name shouldn't be changed no matter what, because its always been called the Bass River Bridge. Others felt as though one soldier shouldn't be singled out when there are others who have died."

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:51 am

Bridge can be renamed to honor all local veterans

November 15, 2010

In regards to the renaming issue of the Bass River Bridge, I respectfully suggest this: The Bass River Veterans Bridge. Easy enough to change to, keeps the original intent, and yet it honors those who have served.

Fred Finkel
Mashpee

Thanks for the input Fred but no. Mashpee has some bridges.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 am

I truly hope Mr. Finkel enjoys your response as much as I did.
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum