Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella

2 posters

Go down

Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella Empty Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella

Post  Betep Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 am

From Cape Wide News:
WEST DENNIS - Another beachgoer in Dennis has been injured by an umbrella uprooted by strong winds. The latest incident happened just after noon at West Dennis Beach. The victim reportedly suffered a head injury. Lifeguards and Dennis Fire Rescue carried the victim to an ambulance for transport to Cape Cod Hospital. The National Weather Service reported southwest winds in the 10-20 MPH range at the time. Back on July 17th, Beachgoer Rodney Cartocci of Harwich was struck by a windblown umbrella at Cold Storage Beach in Dennis. He underwent emergency surgery at Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston but permanently lost vision in his left eye. Officials urge people using umbrellas to purchase inexpensive anchors to secure them in the sand. They should also be aware of changing weather conditions and lower the umbrella in stronger winds.
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella Empty A law?

Post  Betep Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Beach umbrella users should use anchor devices

October 27, 2011

Relaxing on a beautiful beach in Dennis on a perfect summer day, I suddenly felt something slam into the side of my head, and I was instantly covered with blood.

An old-style beach umbrella had somersaulted across the beach and struck me, point first, in my right temple.

Sadly enough, someone had this same less-than-wonderful experience this summer at another local beach. Unfortunately, this person lost an eye.

Isn't it time for the towns to require umbrella users to add a device that will safely secure the umbrella into the sand? I am hoping Cape towns will consider requiring an anchoring device to protect our beachgoers from this potentially serious problem.

Pat Hammett

Dennis

Beach umbrellas' makers should include anchors

October 30, 2011

In regard to the Oct. 27 letter about beach umbrella users being required to attach the screw device to their umbrellas to secure them in the ground, I would suggest that it is time for a law requiring the manufacturers of these umbrellas to sell them only with this device included as a part of the umbrella purchase for safety.

Karen Anderson

East Wareham

Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella Empty Re: Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella

Post  mermaid Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:06 am

I think the `Umbrella cops` will like this if it happens squirrel1
mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella Empty Re: Another beachgoer in Dennis struck by wind blown umbrella

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum