Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling

2 posters

Go down

Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling Empty Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling

Post  mermaid Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:27 am

www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110211/NEWS/102110316/-1/NEWS1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110211/NEWS/102110316/-1/NEWS1

Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling
February 11, 2011BREWSTER — A man is homeless after his tepee was destroyed in a fire Thursday afternoon, a fire department official said.

The fire department could not save the tepee located at 263 Lower Road that served as the man's shelter, Brewster fire Capt. Kevin Varley said. He did not know the cause of the 3:15 p.m. blaze or the material used to build the tepee.

Fire destroyed a home on the same property in 2007.

Fire officials would not release the name of the tepee dweller. But in March 2007, fire destroyed a home at the same address that was owned by Joel Connolly.

Connolly's home, valued in 2007 at $33,300, was located 500 feet down a walking path in the woods and created a logistical challenge for firefighters, who had to get down to the two-alarm blaze on a frigid March night.

After the 2007 fire, public safety officials found the area littered with batteries, 55-gallon drums and cans of what appeared to be kerosene.

mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling Empty Re: Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling

Post  Betep Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am

I remember the 2007 story, a quick search found 2 references:

Living off the grid
" oel Connolly ... The semi-hermit and part-time philosopher who lived off the grid, lost his 1700s-era farmhouse to fire Tuesday, thrusting him into the 21st century with a thud. Now, the self-sufficient Connolly, 75, a guy who rarely spends money and lives off the land to the point of eating roadkill, is faced with depending on others to help rebuild his peculiar, but admired, way of life. ... ''He's the real deal,'' said Brewster neighbor Jim Maples. ''You've got all these pseudo-wannabee dropout green people, and he dropped out 50 years ago.''

The roadkill thing fascinates me... here's a guy who was doing it as a choice, not necessity. ...you've probably seen Connolly, the bewhiskered bicyclist, zipping through town, perhaps on the lookout for squished squirrel... I have to say, sometimes I see this abundance of squirrels we seem to have and wonder what kind of eatin' they are... ''Skunk liver is one of the best-tasting livers I've ever had. Raccoons and skunks have nice fat underneath and it melts out and you get nice grease for shortening.''

I love how among his eccentricities it is mentioned: "He is also a frequent caller to local and National Public Radio talk shows." Damn NPR crazies.

It's a sad story, but, no matter how far off the grid you are it's a travesty not to have insurance, especially on an historic home. Nonetheless, I hope the town can work something out for him."

and "Residents trash Brewster dump policy":
"Longtime dump-picker Joel Connolly said he hasn't had a car for 20 years, and has "a whole fleet of bicycles" he found at the dump. One he found without a seat but in otherwise almost new condition. When he priced it in a store he found it was worth about $800, he said."
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling Empty Re: Fire official: Blaze destroys tepee dwelling

Post  mermaid Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 am

www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110212/NEWS/102120318/-1/NEWS11" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110212/NEWS/102120318/-1/NEWS11

Recluse homeless after tepee fire
By Doug Fraser
dfraser@capecodonline.com

February 12, 2011BREWSTER — Three years ago, Joel Connolly lost his home in a fire. But Connolly refused all offers to help him rebuild, and instead researched and built a tepee out of local bamboo and discarded plastic.

Thursday afternoon, that structure also was destroyed by fire.

The Franklin woodstove that he used to heat the tepee was likely the cause of the fire, Brewster fire Capt. Arthur Romme said. Everything Connolly, 79, owned, including clothing, was lost in the blaze.

"I was right there, loading a cart with wood to bring up for the night. I heard something explode, a pop," he recalled Friday. "It was already too late."

"It was announced as a tepee fire," Romme said. "We pretty much guessed who it was. By the time they reached the driveway, they knew."

mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 am

I'm kinda hoping Wicked Local does an article on the (far-out old guy) man.

''He's the real deal,'' said Brewster neighbor Jim Maples. ''You've got all these pseudo-wannabee dropout green people, and he dropped out 50 years ago.''

Pretty much says it all.
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  Betep Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 am

Has "Blaze" been found yet?
Betep
Betep

Back to top Go down

Post  mermaid Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:56 am

lol! lol! lol!
Darn good question !!!!!
mermaid
mermaid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down