Betep's Page 0

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Betep's Page 0
Betep's Page 0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future

2 posters

Go down

Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future Empty Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future

Post  mermaid Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 am

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101206/OPINION/12060318/-1/OPINION02

Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future
December 06, 2010

Ted Ellis has lived on Cape Cod for over 86 years, and his family before him for over 350. I think he knows a thing or two about the area.

After reading your Dec. 1 article about Ellis Landing, I think it is outrageous that the town of Brewster does not want to do everything in its power to preserve this piece of land. I am a proud member of the Ellis family and it is disgraceful how the town is treating the agreement of maintaining this landing in Brewster.

My relationship aside, this stretch of coastline is a vital part of Brewster tourism. Can you imagine visiting Brewster and seeing such a mess? So much of the Cape's charm is in its history and appearance. I am appalled at the disrespect for my family's agreement with the town and all the old Cape families that have donated land throughout the years. The message the town is sending is one of dishonesty and disrespect, not only to Brewster's past, but also its future.

Julia Ellis Usry

Tucker, Ga.
Yes Julia, I agree with you and your family on this issue. This is the beach I grew up on. My earliest memories of when they `practiced bombed` the target ship. We could hear it from my first house on Underpass road. I`ve well over 30 years of wonderful memories on Ellis Landing beach. As did my dad and his dad and family down the line. Theirs not so `fun`, mostly fishing, clamming & acquiring food to survive and feed the family. My grandmother made THE best clam pies !

I feel it was totally wrecked when La Salette closed and Ocean Edge Resort Co. snapped it up. This obnoxious company immediately claimed `private beach` areas... where I used to roam, have parties, soak up the sun, and find total peace. We could walk this precious beach clear to Orleans.

The erosion problem would cost millions to restore it to a reasonable facsimile, and would need to be done repeatedly. As many other beaches northside. The money simply isn`t there. Especially in this economy.
Bottom line- we can`t fight Mother Nature. She always wins.

It is very sad, and only on a rare occasion that I drive down there these days. It truly is wrecked on all levels. However I remain ever so grateful to have lovely memories of the way it was. Not many can say this.. as most natives haved moved on in one way or another.

Wishing the Ellis family the absolute best.

mermaid
mermaid

Gemini Posts : 766

Back to top Go down

Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future Empty Re: Brewster shows disrespect for both past and future

Post  Betep Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:57 pm

358 views!
Betep
Betep

Aries Posts : 2035

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum